The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Counselor provides assistance to current or potential small business owners by providing one-on-one consulting and training in the areas of business planning, capital asset financing, strategic marketing, planning, financial analysis, networking, and other economic development assistance activities throughout the ten-county service region. The Counselor will assist the Director in obtaining programmatic match funding, the promotion of SBDC services, and the development of new partnerships, execution of trainings, and a referral network with additional resources beneficial for small businesses. In addition to schedule client outreach, this position will also provide assistance to walk-in clients; assist with the general management of the SBDC Office; and have the potential to work on greater outreach for the SBDC including meeting with external agencies, Iowa State University constituents, and different governmental departments. The person will travel frequently throughout the Indian Hills’ 10-county region.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in businesss administration, marketing, public or private management, entrepreneurship, or related field is required. Master's degree is preferred.
- Strong business/entrepreneurship background: prefer a candidate who has owned and operated their own business. Experience providing businesss counseling or coaching is a plus.
- Previous SBDC Counseling experience
- Experience working with influential leaders within the business, legislative, and state government communities
- Experperience analyzing and communicating technical, financial, and mangement information solutions with existing and prospective business owners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary
- Provide individual counseling in business plan development, strategic planning, marketing, financial analysis and planning, loan packaging, capital asset financing, and general business information to current or future small business owners in an effort to increase the overall economic impact of new and existing businesses throughout IHCC's region. Assist clients on the topics of foreign markets, government contracting, patents, and federal/state regulations.
- Build relationships and execute regular communication with clients and lending institutions. Meet with SBDC clients timely, assess their needs appropiately and provide honest, direct, and appropiate business recommendations.
- Meet or exceed stablished SBDC milestones. Actively participate in strategy deployment and execution of the strategic, marketing and business plan for the Regional Entrepreneurship Center (REC) that encompasses the work of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
- Participates in the planning and execution of programs and expand regional partnerships that promote entrepreneurial growth and the goals of the Small Business Development Center and enhance the financial vitality of the SBDC.
- Prefiecient in the use of NeoSerra or other SBDC/SBA databases, websites, and resoureces. Accurately compile all required documentation/data for state and federal reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Develop and implement satisfaction surveys for the evaluation of client success.
- Follow all federal and state SBA and SBDC guidelines, documentation requirements and grant requirements. Utilize resources provided by the state SBDC or federal SBA offices.
- Attend all consulting trainings and meeting required by the state SBDC or federal SBA office.
- Meet the tennants of the Regional Entrepreneurship Center through presentations various community groups and stakeholders.
- Input data into the state and national SBA network through the designated computer system in a timely manner. Contribute to the achievement of center preformance deliverables.
- In conjunction with the Entrepreneurship and Economic Development Initiatives Director and the Continuing Education and Workforce Solutions department, develop a resource network a client may be referred to when they need more specific expertise, maintain high proficiency in business application software, and develop/teach short courses on business-related topics for client companies.
- Maintain strict client confidentiality. Complete all assigned tasks in a timely manner, meet all deadlines and have attention to detail. Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Travel frequently throughout the IHCC 10-county service region, meet with clients in all counties.
- Maintain a professional appearance and represent Indian Hills in a professional manner at all times.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Director, Entrepreneurship & Economic Development Initiatives
Professional - Exempt - Special Funding, at will employment on a letter of employment
4 term, Full Time, Benefits
9 hrs/day, Monday through Thursday, occasional evenings & week
More Information & Apply
More Job Opportunities
Live in Iowa South